Wednesday 25 April 2012

Shhhhhhhhh - It's the Silent Scribble!

I expect you 've heard whisperings about Book Aid Internationals hugely exciting charity auction The Silent Scribble.


It's your chance to get your mitts on genuine works of art by some of Britain's best-loved authors and illustrators including Quentin Blake, Nick Sharrat and National Treasure James Mayhew  


Book Aid asked a selection of Britain’s best known authors and illustrators to do one of the hardest things a writer or artist can ever do – sit down in front of a blank piece of paper, and produce something wonderful. They were given just a one-word brief: “Journeys”

As a special tea time treat here are a few words from one of the illustrators involved in this inspirational project James Mayhew ...


How did you get involved with Book Aid?
They contacted me and asked if I would support them with a scribble. Of course I said YES. I know of their work, which I think is brilliant, important and not widely appreciated enough. Only through literacy and education will the situation in Africa improve long term.

What was the inspiration behind your Journey Illustration

I love old steam trains. I lived near a railway as a very young child and used t watch the Flying Scotsman (the original steam one; I'm VERY old!). My scribble is actually based on the train in Turner's painting Rain, Steam and Speed, which also featured in my book Katie & The British Artists. The theme for all scribblers was Journeys. This is my take on that theme.

Which book did you borrow from the library most frequently as a child?
It might have been Where The Wild Things Are, as I adored it but never owned it as a child. However, I suspect it was a corny old film tie-in book of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Or a book of trains (obviously!)

Which other illustration in the auction would you most like to bid on?

I'm in LOVE with Hannah Firmin's gorgeous print!

Read James Mayhews marvellous blog here!!!

To place your bids: Visit the Book Aid website and  email your chosen lot number, bid value, name and contact details or telephone in your bid on 020 7733 3577 before the 30 April 2012 – bidding will close at 9pm. The auction lots will be drawn on 1 May 2012 and announced on the Book Aid website


PLEASE TWEET / RE-TWEET / POST / RE-POST / BLOG AND SHARE THIS ARTCLE TO SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS AWESOME CHARITY AND THIS ONCE IN A LIFETIME AUCTION!

Book Aid International increases access to books and supports literacy, education and development in sub-Saharan Africa. We provided 516,138 new books to over 2,000 libraries last year alone and have sent more than 30 million books to partner libraries since 1954. Find out more by visiting their website

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful initiative, hope it raises lots for the charity.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.